Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vocabulary

My first integration project was being able to fake my way through a conversation about computer science without giving away the fact that I'm not in CS. Key words that I remember from this endeavour are

PERL - This is a programming language. I'm apparently allowed to have strong feelings about it. I haven't really decided how CS Catherine feels about PERL yet. This one time some random guy emailed the person I was dating at the time soliciting his help for some assignment that he had involving programming in PERL.
Edit: My research tells me that spelling "Perl" in all-caps is considered a sign of not belonging to the core group of Perl users. Horrors! I will implement this finding going forward. Also, my religious studies student self was pleased to discover that Perl was named after the parable of the pearl in the Gospel of Matthew. The plot thickens...

Object-oriented - I'm told that this is a way that you can describe programmes that you're writing. This vocabulary word kind of scares me because I'm not sure what context it should be used in and I feel like misusing it would be a dead giveaway for my ruse.

I feel like Wikipedia could be a useful source for this ongoing vocabulary situation. Math profs use it as a resource for their students all the time (or so I'm told) so I should be able to put at least my usual amount of trust (which is pretty considerable- if there's no entry about something I'm curious about I always kind of feel at a loss for where to look next) in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment