Friday, May 15, 2009

Math Party

Yesterday I attended a housewarming party in honour of two of my friends' new apartment. One of them is actually in math and the other one thinks/pretends that she is. While getting my drunkpants on at this party, which was attended by a bunch of other math-type humans, I realised what one of my favourite things is about people in math. I really like how they integrate math terms into everyday conversation. This is probably not unique to the mathematically inclined but doing it with math words seems to have a certain... tang. This realisation came about when one of the partygoers referred to the number of people that she has dated as her relationship experience set. I liked it a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Catherine! I am reading your blog (it was on my facebook newsfeed and I could not resist!) come to calculus with me sometime. I promise excellent opportunities to expand your math vocabulary and our prof is a CS phd student so you could totally practice computer-talk with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i said that my summer research project was boys, alex asked me what the sample size was for my experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to my blog, friends! I'm actually super excited to see you here.

    Rebecca: I really really would love to come to calculus with you but unfortunately I am at home until June 6th which means that you class will be done by the time I get back. I totally plan to audit a math class in the Fall though. Should be fun/educational.

    Dapha: Ahaha... I like that. A lot. How is that going, by the way?

    ReplyDelete